In Voluntary Service
Volunteers who are able to
minister with the Church of the Nazarene for an extended period of
time are considered "Nazarenes In Volunteer Service"
(NIVS). The NIVS volunteer generally assumes a responsible role or
gives leadership to a program. The volunteer may teach school for a
year, coordinate a ministry, or work to establish new systems and
structures. It may be that he or she fills in for furloughing
missionaries. In some instances, NIVS personnel have even opened new
A longer deployment involves unique cross-cultural challenges for
the volunteer. It will mean working with missionary and national
leadership, dealing with culture shock, being separated from family,
and possibly learning a new language. Therefore, it is necessary to
have specialized training before and during deployment to sustain
- Submit a Volunteer application and references to Nazarene
- Attend a VAT (Volunteer Assessment & Training) weekend.
- Obtain field leadership approval and placement.
- Obtain Volunteer Insurance coverage.
- Receive an NIVS Contract (renewable).
for more information at: